Skip to main content

My First Time at PIFF: Living the Movie Dream

 


Going to the Pune International Film Festival (PIFF24) was like a big movie celebration for me. I really love movies, and this festival became a special place where I found the happiness of storytelling and rediscovering my love for cinemas. PIFF is all about creating a lively movie culture in Pune, and it lived up to its vision by providing a platform for global cinema enthusiasts like myself. The theme of the year, "Cinema is Hope," resonated deeply with my belief in the transformative power of storytelling in a world filled with ups and downs, making me believe again in the power of stories to make me feel better, especially when life gets tough.

Two movies, "Perfect Days" and "Art College 1994," stood out for me during the festival.

Wim Wenders' "Perfect Days" was a masterful exploration of life's subtleties, a recognition of the small details that make existence worthwhile. The film, a sweet and sad slice of life, offered a profound reflection on solitary repetition and the beauty found in the often-overlooked aspects of our lives. Koji Yakusho's Cannes Film Festival-winning performance added a poignant touch, making me yearn for more from a film that beautifully embraced ambient minimalism.

"Art College 1994," set in early 90s China, was a visual feast that transcended cultural boundaries. As a lover of cinema, the film took me on a nostalgic journey to the Chinese Southern Academy of Arts school, where a group of friends navigated the complexities of early adulthood. The characters, goofy, talented, and eccentric, became relatable figures in a universal tale of love, friendship, and artistic pursuits. The film's exploration of the meaning of art and its place in a changing society struck a chord with my own musings on the subject.

Going beyond just watching the movies, being at PIFF was a full-on cinematic experience for me. It was my first time attending PIFF, and it felt like a dream come true because I finally had the time and money to be a part of this movie celebration.  

After the festival, I felt pleased and content, It was like finally getting to finish a hearty meal (for the soul) after surviving on scraps and junk-of-a-content for the past couple of years.

Truly invigorating!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Anime?

This post is for all my readers/friends who have no idea what an anime is? I am hoping to answer all those questions that I get through this post.Every time I tried to convert my friends with ‘stupid entertainment choices’ into an anime fan, Not a lot can be talked and said in the time I am around them so I decided to make a post, just for explaining what I meant, In brief, So here goes... What is anime? The term anime is a Japanese abbreviation for the word animation. To the people who are new to anime, they might confuse it with any other cartoon, but it is not so. Anime has a distinct form of visuals that are unique to most series. They comprise of intricate storylines, fully fledged-out character arcs, catchy intro and end credit songs, beautifully composed soundtracks, captivating visuals and more. They come in many arrays of genres like sports, action, adventure, mystery, thriller, sci-fi, horror, comedy, romance, etc. Manga’s are Japanese comics created b...

When Serendipity Knocked

Sometimes, life surprises you in the most unexpected ways. It throws a name, a moment, or a person into your path that changes everything. For me, that moment came when I met her tiny, bold, with short hair framing a face that held more strength and beauty than I thought possible. She’s the kind of person you don’t forget. Fierce yet kind, strong yet tender, she carries herself with a quiet grace that draws you in. Every conversation with her feels like uncovering a new layer of the world. She challenges me, grounds me, and somehow, without even trying, makes me want to be the best version of myself. What amazes me most is how effortlessly she understands me. In a world where connection often feels fleeting or shallow, she gets me in a way no one else has. It's not just the big things; it's the little things, the way she listens, the way she shares her thoughts, the way she's unapologetically herself. Meeting her wasn't just a moment; it was a turning point. She brought...

Skyrim Was Winter, And I Was Just Waking Up

Lately, I’ve been thinking about silence. Not just the regular kind, the absence of noise, but the kind that settles inside you. The kind that creeps in when you’re alone at night, lying on your bed, phone facedown, and you just feel this weird stillness all around you. The kind of silence that makes you reflect on everything, or nothing, all at once. For me, this silence is oddly similar to something I’ve felt before in a game. It’s weird, I know. But it always takes me back to Skyrim. More specifically, to that cart ride. I’ve played a lot of games. I’ve tried escaping into open worlds, storylines, and choices I don’t always have in real life. But Skyrim ? Skyrim stayed with me. I think about that opening scene more than I probably should. You know, the one where you’re bound, gagged, nameless, and just watching the world pass by as you’re taken to your execution. That cart ride doesn’t just introduce you to the game; it mirrors real life in ways I wasn’t expecting. Yo...